Giant Cinnamon Rolls
Time: 3 hours. Warm cinnamon butter melting down the sides of these rolls and into the grooves makes them a standout.
- YIELD: Serves 8
- COURSE: Breakfast/Brunch
- 15 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening or butter
- 1 large egg
- 3 3/4 cups flour, plus about 1/4 cup for rolling
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- Cooking-oil spray
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
1. In a large bowl of a
2. Change to dough hook, gradually add 3 3/4 cups flour, and beat on medium speed until dough is smooth and stretchy and pulls away somewhat from inside of bowl, about 10 minutes (dough will still feel quite wet).
3. Remove hook from bowl and loosely cover bowl. Let dough rise at room temperature until doubled, about 40 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, combine 3 tbsp. cinnamon with 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Generously flour a large work surface and scrape dough onto it. Generously sprinkle dough and a rolling pin with flour.
5. Very gently roll and pat dough into a 10- by 24-in. rectangle, keeping a light coating of flour on dough but trying not to work it in. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture and brown sugar, then roll dough into a log starting from a 10-in. side. Cut dough straight down into 8 equal slices. Place slices cut-side up in a greased 10-in.
6. Set springform pan on rimmed baking pan and bake rolls until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center roll (avoid cinnamon-sugar swirls) comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack, 30 minutes. Meanwhile, make the cinnamon butter: In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter with 1 tsp. cinnamon until blended.
7. Run a knife around inside of pan to release rolls; remove pan rim. With a serrated knife, cut rolls apart and top each with about 1 tbsp. cinnamon butter. Put rolls on a platter and place in warm oven until butter has mostly melted, about 1 minute.
Make ahead: Instead of letting rolls rise on the counter (step 5), immediately cover with a piece of oiled
Note: Nutritional analysis is per roll.
- Calories: 554
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Protein: 8.6g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 8.3g
- Carbohydrate: 95g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sodium: 356mg
- Cholesterol: 57mg