Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo
Refrigerated pasta is a time-pressed cook's secret weapon, cooking up in a flash. Reserved pasta
- YIELD: Serves 4 (serving size: about 1 cup)
- COURSE: Main Dishes
- 1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated fettuccine
- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Cook the pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Combine shrimp, onions, and garlic in a small bowl. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil; swirl to coat. Add shrimp mixture, and sauté for 4 minutes or until shrimp are done. Remove from pan; keep warm.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Add reserved cooking liquid, Parmigiano-Reggiano, half-and-half, cream cheese, and pepper to pan. Cook 2 minutes or until cheeses melt. Combine pasta, cheese mixture, and shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with parsley.